We use bleach in our everyday lives, it's a common household product and is normally a go-to product to keep our houses, surfaces and toilets clean. Bleach is known to kill most types of viruses, bacteria, moulds, mildew, and algae and can whiten colour. But how safe is bleach? We may use it because we believe it's one of the best products to clean out there, but there are many reasons it may be bad for our health. Although bleach isn't toxic to the skin itself, it can cause irritation to our bodies, skin and eyes if exposed to it for too long. Bleach effects our bodies in the following ways:
Eyes: The main symptoms will include a blurry vision and irritated blood shot eyes. Skin: The skin may appear red and possibly itchy from exposure.
Lungs: If breathing in bleach fumes, you may experience bronchospasm. This causes the chest to feel tight and makes it hard for the person to catch their breath. Mouth and throat: An irritated throat may occur but this isn't too severe. The main danger of bleach is when we mix it with other chemical based products, this is when the exposure becomes toxic and poses a health risk, and can sometimes be fatal.
When bleach mixes with ammonia, it will create a toxic gas called chloramine. whether absorbed through the skin or inhaled, high levels of exposure to chloramine gas can be fatal.
When exposed to chloramine, symptoms include:
Nausea Throat, nose, and eye irritation
Fluid in the lungs
Pain in the chest