With the world going through a huge change and with everyone experiencing a 'new normal' way of life, we all want to live in a clean and safe way. Changing our daily habits has been the first step to achieving a safer environment, but are some methods actually causing more harm than good? Glove wearing would seem to be an extremely safe way to avoid germs and passing them on, but with their benefits come their disadvantages. Advantages of wearing gloves:
1. Acts as a barrier and an extra layer over hands to avoid contact with germs.
2. Mentally helps with feeling safe and protected.
3. Helps to keep hands healthy.
4. Improves hand grip.
5. Useful if someone returns to work and is recovering from a virus.
Disadvantages Of Wearing Gloves
1. If the gloves are the wrong size for your hand, they could tear or puncture leading to food contamination due to exposure to skin. 2. Gloves can already be contaminated themselves and can cause cross contamination if the glove had touched any other surfaces.
3. Can create illusion of false security in mind of wearer.
4. Pose more of a threat when they aren't changed frequently enough.
How To Use Gloves Properly:
1. Create a glove policy and deliver educational advice on glove standard operating procedures.
2. Wash and sanitise hands before putting on gloves.
3. Remove possibly contaminated gloves before touching other surfaces.
4. Change gloves immediately after contaminated material is touched.
5. NEVER reuse disposable gloves.
6. Always dispose gloves before using the toilet/restroom.