It’s no surprise that hand sanitiser has become a staple in our everyday life and we use it more than ever now due to current events. It’s the perfect way to wash our hands when we are out when there is no access to soap and water. It’s an instant clean feeling that is simple and effective.
Hand sanitiser comes in a gel, foam, or liquid solution and dries within seconds due to it’s convenient cleaning capabilities.
We are used to using hand sanitisers that contain alcohol, such as ethyl alcohol, which is an active ingredient and works as an antiseptic… but how safe is this solution? Well if you’re a serial sanitiser user, you will want to know the dangers we've discovered when using an alcohol based solution.
If your sanitiser has a fragrance added, this means it's likely loaded with different toxic chemicals. Unfortunately, companies aren't required to disclose the ingredients that make up their fragrances so you are at more of a risk of being exposed to a potion of chemicals and no idea what types or how much. Yikes! Weaker Immune System
Triclosan (an antibacterial and antifungal agent used in sanitisers) has been found to harm the immune system, which protects your body against disease.
It was discovered that triclosan could negatively affect human immune function. Compromising the immune system has been proven to make people more susceptible to allergies and and more vulnerable to the toxic chemical Bisphenol A, which is commonly in plastics.
Misuse And Alcohol Poisoning An active ingredient in most hand sanitisers is a type of alcohol that acts as an antimicrobial that kills bacteria. The most common are ethyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, or a mix of both in a concentration of 60% to 95%. It’s been reported that young people such as teens and children have been known to ingest sanitiser and have become very ill from doing so. Just a few squirts of hand sanitiser could equal a couple of shots of hard liquor. Having alcohol based sanitisers in the reach of young children is a health hazard alone because of their accidental misuse of the product. Hormone Disruption
The use of alcohol based sanitisers can lead to hormonal disruptions and can cause bacteria to adapt to its antimicrobial properties, which creates more antibiotic-resistant strains. Previous animal studies have shown that this reaction could change the way hormones work in the body, which means that these sanitisers may be affecting humans in a negative way.