How Dirty Is Money?

Our spare change and notes could be a breeding ground for harmful bacteria and germs. The money we handle everyday could be passing various bacteria onto us and others, meaning viruses like COVID are easily transferred from person to person without us realising. In a recent study, bacteria found on money included taphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Enterococcus faecium (VRE), both of which have strains which can be resistant to antibiotics. Another worrying discovery was airborne bacteria Listeria, that is very much life-threatening.

It's also been discovered hat 2p, 5p, 10p, £1 and £2 coins, as well as the £10, £20 and £50 notes, can cause boils, food poisoning, cellulitis and toxic shock syndrome. This means anyone who has a slightly weaker immune system is at threat of contracting some of these horrible illnesses and will have a harder time fighting against them. The best thing to do when handling money is to wash your hands thoroughly and regularly, to prevent the risk of transferring germs to your face and mouth, making it easier for you to contract viruses that may be harmful. The best way to pay in shops and supermarkets is to use contactless payment. This stops any contact with germs and reduces the risk of catching anything significantly.